Sunday, September 13, 2009

THE WITCHES' SPELL


"Hoity-toity! Hop-o'-my thumb!
Tweedledee and Tweedledum!
All hobgoblins come to me,
Over the mountains, over the sea:
Come in a hurry, come in a crowd,
Flying, chatting, shrieking loud;
I and my broomstick fidget and call---
Come, hobgoblins, we want you all!!
I have a pot of mischievous brew..."
Ruth Bedford

I love everything about Fall: warm fuzzy sweaters, crisp, sweet fallen leaves, carved pumpkins, fantastical Halloween outfits, and tart apple pies. I adore the rich autumn colors: bittersweet, warm forest green, and deep burgundy. I spent a glorious day yesterday putting away all my summer decor, and turning my home into an autumn wonderland. Garlands of glittered leaves, pumpkins of all sizes,  gourds and lovely indian corn. And...WITCHES everywhere! A universal creature of which fairy tales are written, and spells are spun, the witches might be my favorite part of fall. I feel a special kinship with these magical wise women and have been collecting them for years. I have wooden, resin, clay, cloth and paper mache witches. They gather in the nooks and crannies of my home, where I allow them to work their magic. You can almost hear them cackle in warm spirited salutation, "Come at my summons-come to me".

No comments: