Sunday, February 28, 2010

MY HIPPIE WEDDING DRESS

More then a few of you have asked where I got the lovely old lace-covered dress on my mannequin. It was my wedding dress. 1974. True vintage. As you know, I grew up in the turbulent sixties and seventies. I was totally into the anti-establishment scene. Peace, Love, and Flower- Power. Tom and I wanted a very non-traditional, very simple wedding. I went to a department store and bought my dress off the rack. It cost less then $100.00. A 'Gunne Sax' dress. (If you are over the age of 50 you might recognize the name of Jessica McClintock's fashion line popular in the early 70's). I made a hood and attached it to the dress, wore sandals on my feet, and carried a bouquet of wild flowers. My husband wore beige slacks and a cream colored 'wedding shirt' (also popular in the 70’s). I made our invitations and together we wrote our own vows. Our reception was a big picnic in the park. We roasted a pig, and drank champagne.

If I had to do it all over again....I'd do it exactly the same way. ❤️


1 comment:

Mary Ellen Taylor said...

Love your story! I remember going to the Jedsica MnClintock factory store in San Francisco and seeing gals shopping for dresses and using a makeshift dressing room! I bought a guennysaux dress & slip for my daughter. Thanks for reawakening that memory. I didn’ know you then but I have a wonderful vision of your Wedding .