Saturday, April 18, 2009

POEMS, PRAYERS AND PROMISES


I love the song 'Poems, Prayers and Promises' by John Denver. Back in 1972, while I was living in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, I went to see John in concert at Red Rocks outdoor amphitheatre. This was one of the first songs I heard him sing, and the beginning of my life-long infatuation with his unique brand of folksy-country music. At our wedding in 1974, the young singer-guitar player sang it so sweetly. Even now it brings back memories of our magical wedding day. It seemed the perfect name for this whimsical little wedding bag.

This sweet little clutch was a special order. I really loved how it turned out so I thought I'd show it here. It is made from bits of a weathered-white vintage wedding gown that belonged to the Mother-of-the-Groom, glitzed with jewels of antique pearl and crystal that belonged to groom's grandmum.

I  added tiny wool loops under the flap and made a detachable beaded handle from more of the antique pearls and crystals (again, belonging to the groom's grandmother) so the bride can easily attach the handle to the bag if she so desires.

 I lined the bag with pieces of an antique silk pillow case, and, for the finish, took a slip of silk ribbon upon which I wrote the bride and groom's names and their wedding date and carefully stitched that to the inside of the bag.

The bag is a lovely little treasure sewn with bits of sentimental family heirlooms.

No comments: